Canned pumpkin puree adds a bit of subtle flavor to these muffins, but more important, it also makes the muffins ultramoist. For the pumpkin spice blend, we experimented with both homemade blends and store-bought options and found that store-bought worked surprisingly well. We added the spice mix not only to the muffin batter but also to the sweet and crunchy streusel topping.
Our favorite canned pumpkin puree is made by Libby’s. One 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree is more than enough for this recipe. You can transfer the leftover pumpkin to a zipper-lock bag and freeze it for up to a month. If you'd prefer, to make your own, use our recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice.
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Generously spray 12-cup muffin tin, including top, with baking spray with flour.
2. FOR THE TOPPING: Combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in bowl. Add melted butter and stir until evenly moistened and mixture resembles wet sand; set aside.
3. FOR THE MUFFINS: Whisk flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt together in bowl. Whisk pumpkin, melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla together in separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until just combined.
4. Using greased 1/3-cup dry measuring cup, portion heaping 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup (cups will be filled to rim). Sprinkle topping evenly over batter, about 1 tablespoon per muffin.
5. Bake muffins until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out with few crumbs attached, 22 to 25 minutes, rotating muffin tin halfway through baking. Let muffins cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin tin and let cool on rack for 5 minutes. Serve.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.