Carrot + Walnut Halva | halva-ye havij-e urmia
This nutritious, gluten-free and comforting halva is associated with the Winter Festival/shab-e yalda in Azarbaijan.
2lb/900g carrots, peeled and cut to 1in/2.5cm slices
1 cup/200g sugar
1 cup/240ml grape molasses
2 cups/250g walnuts, toasted and coarsely ground
1/2 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons rose water
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped pistachio kernels
1 tablespoon sliced almonds or coconuts flakes
1/4 cup/40g coarsely chopped walnuts
1. To make the halva: Puree the carrots and sugar in a food processor. Transfer to a medium-sized laminated cast-iron pot. Cover and allow to macerate for 1 hour.
2. Place the pot over low heat, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Set aside 2 tablespoons for garnish.
3. Add the grape molasses and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the walnuts (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish), saffron-rose water, cardamom, and cinnamon, stirring constantly for 2 to 4 minutes, until you have a thick, grainy halva.
5. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with the carrots, pistachios, almonds and walnuts. Allow to cool and serve either as a main dish with lavash bread or alone as a dessert. Nush-e joon!
Excerpted from Cooking in Iran by Najmieh Batmanglij. Copyright 2018 Mage Publishers.
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.