The word “chaufa” is derived from the Chinese and means “eating rice.” This is Chinese-style fried rice with a Peruvian twist.
2 quantities of Rice with White Corn (without the corn)
3/4 oz. baby carrots, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon peeled and very finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon very finely chopped garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 oz. drained hearts of palm from a jar or can, sliced into rings
1 1/2 oz. cherry tomatoes, skinned
2 shallots, cut into quarters
9 oz. baby radish
2 kale leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Fine sea salt
2 Bahuaja (Brazil) nuts, shelled and grated
1. Prepare rice. Set aside.
2. Parboil the carrots for 3 minutes, then remove and set aside.
3. Heat the canola oil in a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat and stir-fry the ginger and garlic for a few seconds.
4. Add the carrots, red pepper, hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, shallots, radish, and kale leaves and stir-fry for 5–7 minutes.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and sauté for 1 minute.
6. Add the cooked rice, stir, and then add the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce and the sesame oil. Season to taste with salt.
7. Garnish the rice with the grated nuts and drops of Huancaina Sauce.
Excerpted from Lima The Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez, Mitchell Beazley 2015.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.