Kim Chi loves this simple Korean seaweed soup that is traditionally eaten on birthdays and after giving birth, but it is delicious anytime! This is home food of the first order and rarely found in restaurants so making it at home is essential. Healthy, simple to make and very, very soothing, Kim equates this soup it to a “warm hug”
1 oz dry seaweed, wakame
1 tbsp sesame oil
½ lb protein of choice (traditionally chuck ground beef, seafood, or preferred alternative)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
black pepper, to taste
1 pkg Korean beef-flavored instant pasta - optional
1T tuna extract or fish sauce
Water (approximately 4 liters)
Rice, to serve
1. Soak seaweed in a large bowl of water for about 10 minutes until it expands in size. After soaking, cut the expanded seaweed into bite-sized pieces using scissors or a knife.
2. In a large pan or stock pot, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the soaked seaweed, squeezing out the water before adding into the pan. Sauté for about a minute with the beef.
4. Pour in soy sauce and add garlic, sauteeing for a minute. Add about 4 liters of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Season with black pepper. Add the pasta if using.
5. Add a tablespoon of tuna extract or fish sauce. Boil on medium for about seven minutes, then reduce the heat to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Once ready, serve the soup with rice.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.