Recipe provided by chef Kwame Onwuachi of Kith and Kin in Washington, D.C. Francis Lam talks with Onwuachi about the dish and many more topics in their inteview from our episode "Kwame Onwuachi - Notes from a Young Black Chef."
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose ﬂour
1 medium onion, small diced
2 large ribs of celery, small diced
1 large green pepper, small diced
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon Cajun spice
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 quart shrimp stock
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the ﬂour, reduce heat to medium-low, and whisk into a smooth paste until a blonde roux forms: approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the onion, celery, pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring until vegetables have softened, approximately 6 minutes. Add Cajun spice, bay leaf, and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add shrimp stock in thirds, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add shrimp to the stock and cook for approximately 3 minutes. Be careful not to overcook shrimp.
5. Season to taste with salt and serve with rice.
Excerpted from Notes From a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi. Copyright © 2019 by Kwame Onwuachi. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.