Bright, refreshing, sweet, and tangy, these cucumbers work just as well next to (or inside) a hearty winter sandwich as they do at a summer barbecue. Any leftover cucumbers will keep well for a few days in the refrigerator, but they will continue to give off liquid; just drain it off and add another squeeze of fresh lime juice before serving.
1 1/2 pounds English (seedless) cucumbers, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
1/4 cup Sweet Lime Vinegar (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
1. Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt, spread them out in a large colander, set it in a large bowl or the sink, and let drain for 30 minutes.
2. Press down on the cucumbers to release as much liquid as you can, then blot them very dry and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the lime vinegar and most of the sesame seeds, reserving some for garnish. Toss to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve. They can remain in the fridge for 2 days or longer.
3. When ready to serve, using a slotted spoon, transfer the cucumbers to a serving bowl; discard the liquid. Add the lime juice and tarragon, toss to combine, and use a fork to separate the cucumbers. Scatter the reserved sesame seeds over the top and serve.
Sweet Lime Vinegar
Makes about 3/4 cup
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Grated zest and juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
1. Bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is slightly syrupy.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime zest and half of the juice. Cool enough to taste, then check for limey-ness, adding more juice if necessary. Cool completely before using. The vinegar can be kept for 2 weeks or longer in the fridge.
Excerpted from Saladish by Ilene Rosen (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2018. Photographs by Joseph De Leo.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.