This recipe is for a quick and easy soup with a lot of great, vibrant flavors. It was included Francis Lam's interview with chef Amanda Cohen for our The Key 3 series at her restaurant Dirt Candy in New York City.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced red onions
small pinch of chili flakes
3 tablespoons minced garlic
One 19 oz can chickpeas
One 19 oz can diced tomato
Water to cover
1 sprig of rosemary
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
1/4 cup pecorino romano (optional)
Salt to taste
1) In a medium-sized pot heat the oil, onion, chili flakes and 2 tablespoons of the garlic over medium-low heat until onions become translucent
2) Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, rosemary sprig and cover with water
3) Bring to a light simmer and let cook for about 15-20 minutes
4) Add in the last of the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes
5) Adjust seasoning and add lemon juice
6) At this point, you could puree a few cups of the soup if you like slightly thicker soups
7) Divide between 4 bowls and serve with or without any of the optional add-ins
Recipe provided by chef Amanda Cohen of Dirt Candy restaurant
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.