Years ago, my friends and I visited a regional business called Let’s Dish, where we would pay to prepare individually portioned freezer meals. They would set out recipes and raw ingredients, and we’d prep and label enough meals to last for weeks. It was a great concept, and it opened my eyes to how easy it was to cook meals from scratch. After we paid for the service a few times, I began to do the same in my home. Storing individual portions of uncooked mushrooms and buttery rolls in the freezer makes for a delicious, time-saving meal later. The mushrooms can be marinated up to 48 hours in advance.
12 ounces portobello mushrooms (approximately 3 large)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced yellow onion (approximately 1/2 medium)
4 ciabatta rolls (or sandwich roll of your choice)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, patted dry, and sliced thin
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and cut into 1/2 -inch slices. Place in a large resealable plastic bag along with the oil, vinegar, garlic, and onion. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 48 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the rolls in half and place on a baking sheet.
3. In a large skillet over low to medium-low heat, cook the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and marinade liquid for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and the liquid has reduced.
4. Toast the rolls in the oven until warm and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly onto the rolls and top each with 1 tablespoon of sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and feta cheese.
From The Gourmet Kitchen by Jennifer Farley. Photos by Jennfer Farley. (2016, Gallery Books)
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.