3/4 cup fresh Peruvian white corn (choclos) kernels or fresh regular corn kernels
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 3/4 cups medium-grain white rice, such as Bomba paella rice
4 cups boiling water
fine sea salt
1. Rinse and drain the corn kernels.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the rice to the oil, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until the rice turns pale white, then add the corn.
3. Pour in the boiling water and salt to taste and stir to combine.
4. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until there are air holes visible in the cooked rice.
5. Fluff the rice up with a fork and serve.
Excerpted from Lima The Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez, Mitchell Beazley 2015.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.