1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 1/2 tablespoons superfine sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon butter, plus extra for greasing
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 1/4 teaspoons fresh yeast
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
Handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
Cracked black pepper, for sprinkling
Fine sea salt
1. Scald the milk in a small saucepan while constantly stirring. Remove from the heat, add the sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and the butter and mix well until the sugar and salt have dissolved and the butter has melted. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the 1/2 cup of lukewarm water to a separate bowl, then add the yeast and mix well. Leave for a few minutes until the liquid begins to froth. Add the onion and cilantro and mix well.
3. Combine the flour and both liquids until you have a very sticky dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 9 x 4 3/4-inch loaf pan.
5. Knead the dough well, then transfer to the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, and cracked black pepper, and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
6. Turn out bread onto a wire rack and garnish with extra cilantro, then let cool.
Excerpted from Lima The Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez, Mitchell Beazley 2015.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.