This dish comes together as quickly as it takes to boil the water for the pasta. It was inspired by a trip to Seattle’s Pike Place Market. I came upon a fantastic marinated artichoke bar there, and the thought just struck me how tasty marinated artichokes might be in a pasta.
1 pound spaghetti
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium shallot, minced
1 (12-ounce) jar or can artichoke hearts, halved
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups dry white wine, such as a chardonnay
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, divided
6 basil leaves, chopped, divided
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta for 1 minute less than the package instructs.
2. While the water is boiling, add the extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot and sauté together for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the artichoke hearts, lemon zest, lemon juice, and white wine. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced to half and coats the back of the spoon.
4. Stir in half the parsley and basil. Add the butter and let it melt into the sauce. Stir. Season with salt and pepper and turn down the heat on the sauce until pasta is ready.
5. When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss it in the skillet with the sauce and remaining parsley and basil.
6. Finish with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve.
Tip: Artichokes marinated in oil bring more flavor to this dish.
From The Quick Six Fix by Stuart O’Keeffe. Copyright © 2016 by Stuart O’Keeffe. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.