1 1/2 cups warm water
5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 package dry yeast
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1 tablespoon malt powder or syrup*
4 1/2 to 5 cups unbleached white bread flour
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup poppy seeds or sesame seeds
6 quarts water
1/3 cup honey
1. In a large bowl stir together warm water, sugar, oil, yeast, egg and malt until yeast dissolves. Stir in salt and 1 cup flour. Fold in enough flour to make a soft dough, about 3 cups.
2. Knead dough for 10-12 minutes, incorporating additional flour as needed, until dough is firm and smooth. Cover with inverted bowl and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll into 10-inch ropes. Curve each rope around hand, pressing together ends to make a bagel shape. If necessary, apply drops of water to help ends stay together. Let bagels rise for 30 minutes.
4. Fill a large kettle with 6 quarts water and honey. Bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Boil bagels in honey-sweetened water for 1 1/2 minutes, turning once. Drain on dish towels and place on baking sheets.
6. Generously sprinkle both sides of bagels with seeds.
7. Place bagels in oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes, turning once.
*Available in homebrew stores, some health food stores, or from King Arthur Flour (800-827-6836).
Adapted from A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking, by Marcy Goldman.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.