Bread and Butter Pudding is classic British mommy food and one of the easiest puddings to make. It's a great way to use up left over bread — white, (the classic), brown, brioche, even stale croissant, the method is the same whichever you use. If you're feeling particularly decadent, smear the buttered bread with a little marmalade or jam before baking.
5 tablespoons butter, softened
10 thin slices white bread, or any of the other breads mentioned above
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups milk
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Heat the oven to 355 degrees F. Grease a 4 cup shallow baking dish with a little of the butter. Spread each slice of bread with butter and cut corner to corner to make triangles.
2. Cover the base of the pie dish with overlapping triangles of half the bread, buttered side up. Sprinkle half the golden raisins evenly over the bread, then lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon. Repeat this layer one more time, finishing with the raisins on top.
3. In a large bowl beat the eggs with 3/4 of the sugar and all the vanilla extract until light and airy and pale in color. Pour the milk over the eggs and continue beating until all the milk is added.
4. Pour the egg mixture slowly and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the surface with your hand to push the bread into the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the surface then set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
5. Bake the pudding 40 to 45 minutes until the surface is golden brown and the pudding is well-risen and the egg set (its center should reach 165°F on an instant reading thermometer). Let rest at least 15 minutes once it's out of the oven. Serve warm, or at room temperature with a generous dollop of jam on the side.
Copyright 2010 Lynne Rossetto Kasper
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.