I gotta confess: I find this sprightly, tingly mixture ever so much more interesting than cranberry goop out of the can.
1 pound fresh cranberries
1/4 cup tequila
6 tablespoons sugar
1. Remove or grate peel from the limes and from 2 of the oranges, making sure to leave the white pith behind. Very finely mince the peels. Reserve.
2. Squeeze out the juice from the limes and the 2 peeled oranges. Reserve.
3. In a medium-size saucepan combine the minced peels, lime juice, orange juice, cranberries, tequila, and sugar. Cover the saucepan with a lid, place over heat, bring to a boil, and let boil rapidly for 8 minutes. Place mixture in mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
4. Peel the 4 remaining oranges and separate them into segments. Remove as much membrane and pith as possible. Cut the segments in half. Add segments to the cooled cranberry mixture.
5. Cut the pomegranates in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Try not to crush the seeds while separating them from the white membrane. Make sure to leave any membrane or white part behind. Using a rubber spatula, combine seeds gently with the cranberry mixture. Chill and serve.
Note: This relish can be made the day before serving.
Adapted from It's All American Food by David Rosengarten (Little, Brown 2003).
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.