Photo: tashka2000 / iStock / Thinkstock
A scattering of ruby-colored pomegranate seeds makes a memorable finish to this dish. If desired, a day ahead, seed pomegranate, wash and dry greens, and make dressing. Roll greens up in paper toweling, tuck into plastic bags, and refrigerate overnight.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings rice vinegar
- 3 heads Belgian endive, or additional head curly endive
- 1 small head each red leaf lettuce and curly endive
- 3 ounces Westphalian or other smoked ham, cut into thin sticks
- 1 small Granny Smith or Braeburn apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 glove garlic
- 2 whole scallions
- 1 generous tablespoon Dijon mustard
- extra-virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 large pomegranate, seeded
1. Cover onion with rice vinegar.
2. Soak 20 minutes. Wash, dry, and tear all but Belgian endive leaves into bite-sized pieces. Arrange greens on a large platter, with endive leaves here and there. Scatter with apple and ham.
3. Drain vinegar into a blender, adding the garlic, scallions, and mustard. With blender running, add oil to taste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Tuck onions into greens.
5. Just before serving, drizzle dressing over the salad and finish with pomegranate.