Excellent hot or at room temperature. Reheats well.
Cook to Cook: Use a skillet with an ovenproof handle, and be careful when setting it out, the handle will be hot.
- Good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch dice
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- A generous pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups cooked broccoli, cabbage or cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped salted whole almonds
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (you want a bold, complex cheese, not a typical supermarket cheddar)
1.Preheat oven to 350ºF. Film a 10-inch skillet (with an ovenproof handle) with the olive oil, and heat over medium high. Add the onions, a little salt and pepper. Sauté them to golden brown. Stir in the red pepper, thyme, garlic, and raisins. Sauté about 2 minutes and add the cooked vegetables. Sauté another 2 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in the nuts. Set the pan aside.
2. Beat together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and 2/3 of the cheese. Pour the mixture over the cooked greens. Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out with only a few bits of creamy egg and cheese clinging to it. Remove the pan from the oven. Let the omelet stand 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.