- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups roughly chopped Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder or other cooked meat
- 1 handful dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pasta
- Parmesan cheese for shaving
1. In a medium heavy-bottomed pot, cook the olive oil and onions over high heat to caramelize the onions, stirring often. After about 5 minutes, add the garlic and cook a few minutes more, stirring. Stir in the meat, mushrooms, tomatoes, and broth, then add the oregano and red pepper. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat, then quickly reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. While the ragout is simmering, cook your pasta. Drain and transfer to a serving dish and ladle the ragout over the pasta. Shave some Parmesan cheese over the top.