Photo: Cameron Whitman / iStock / Thinkstock
From Chef Mark Reinfeld's menu for A Holiday Vegan Feast:
- 1 pre-made 9-inch pie crust
- 1 medium pumpkin (1-3/4 cups cooked)
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sucanat or organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon clove powder
- Dairy-Free Maple Whip (recipe follows)
Dairy-Free Maple Whip:
- 12.3 ounces silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch cardamom powder
- Pinch cinnamon powder
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Place face down on a well oiled or parchment paper lined baking pan. Bake until a knife easily goes through the skin and the flesh of the pumpkin, approximately 45 minutes.
2. Scoop out 1-3/4 cups pumpkin, place in food processor or blender with remaining ingredients and process or blend until smooth.
3. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake until top is firm to touch, approximately 1 hour. Filling may puff up and rise above crust line as it bakes. It will fall back down as it cools.
Dairy-Free Maple Whip
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.