Assemble everything and pile them high, as much as you like, and to your heart's content.
1. Rub chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, turmeric, and chile powder, if using. Set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes. Brown chicken in a skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside.
2. Process Spice Paste ingredients to a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or skillet and fry cinnamon stick and star anise for 1/2 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and Spice Paste and saute for about 10 to 15 minutes, until sauce becomes fragrant, gradually adding remaining oil.
4. Add ground chili, coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water and stir for about 5 minutes. Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes, then add remaining water and salt and continue to stir until sauce becomes thick and fragrant, and chicken is cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add lime juice and stir another minute. Garnish with spring onions or coriander leaves.
Put flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well, add warm water and stir until dough begins to ball up. On a lightly floured surface knead dough. Do not over-work the dough. Add the green onions. After working dough, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 1/2 to 1 hour.
Heat oil to 350 degrees in a frying pan or kettle. Lightly flour surface and pat and roll out baseball-size pieces of dough. Cut hole in middle with a knife (so the dough will fry flat) to 1/4-inch thickness and place in oil and cook until golden brown and flip over and cook opposite side until it is also golden brown. Dough is done in about 3 minutes depending on oil temperature and thickness of dough.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.