Food consultant and cooking teacher Lois Lee explains this was a favorite summer recipe of her mother's, a superb cook. You won't need sterilized jars or much time for these pickles, but they must be stored in the refrigerator and eaten in about 5 days.
- 4 cups thinly sliced small cucumbers (finger-length ones)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/4 cup vinegar
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1. Place in a bowl with 2 trays of ice cubes. Let stand 3 hours.
2. Bring syrup ingredients to a boil.
3. Drain cukes and onions and add to syrup.
4. Heat just to boiling.
5. Cover and chill. Keep in refrigerator.