Beguiling as a French fry, but with so much more charisma (mango, lime and chile deserve nomination as a hallowed culinary trinity), these are what you want to have on hand when time is short and snacks are essential. They are just enough to rev up the appetite for the feast to come.
These are best cut no more than 6 hours ahead and refrigerated (put the jicama in water to keep it from browning). Season them shortly before serving.
- 1 medium jicama (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch sticks
- 2 medium firm ripe mangoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) peeled and cut into 1/2 by 3-inch sticks
- Juice of a medium lime
- Generous pinch salt
- About 1 teaspoon ground pure chile, medium to hot depending upon your taste
1. Spread out the jicama and mango sticks and sprinkle with the lime juice. Then dust with a little salt and the chile, turning the pieces so each side gets a bit of seasoning.
2. Serve them clustered in paper cones or small glasses.