Photo: iStock / Thinkstock
When my younger sister was on a no-beef kick, her husband, Ben, created these awesome burgers. Even staunch beef lovers are happy to eat these, and once you try this chutney, you'll never want ketchup on a burger again.
For the Tomato-Mango Chutney:
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped mango
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, green parts only
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Hamburger buns (optional)
1. Prepare the gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Clean and oil the rack.
2. To make the chutney, mix the tomatoes, mango, and cilantro by hand in a bowl. Combine the brown sugar, lime juice, and yogurt in a blender until smooth. Toss the tomato-mango mixture with the yogurt dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, soy sauce, scallions, and cumin by hand in a large bowl. Form the mixture into 8 patties. Grill over hot coals or high heat for 6 minutes per side, or until their centers reach 160°F. on an instant-reading thermometer. Place on a bun, if desired, and top with the chutney.