Photo: Robyn Mackenzie / iStock / Thinkstock
- 1 loaf stale sliced white bread
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease with butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
2. Butter both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides.
3. Place raisins in bowl of hot water to plump. Cover, soak for 20 minutes, and drain.
4. Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
5. Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add drained raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir.
6. Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.