serves 4 | prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins VG
This is not your average garlic bread. Gochujang really makes this sing, providing a bit of spice, but also a deep, peppery flavor. And for those who don’t like a lot of spice, don’t worry—the cream cheese softens the impact to create something that is very balanced. This is perfect as a starter, or you could top it with some salad and a bit of thinly sliced ham to create a delicious lunch.
1 large baguette
2/3 cup (2½oz) grated mozzarella
2 scallions, finely chopped, to garnish
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, to garnish
for the gochujang sauce
1 tablespoon gochujang
1/2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
for the garlic butter
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 stick (½ cup/4oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 tablespoons (3oz) cream cheese
1 tablespoon gochujang
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
2. First make the gochujang sauce. Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well to combine, then set aside.
3. To make the garlic butter, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
4. Cut the baguette lengthwise down the middle so that you have long halves of bread (like an open sandwich). Divide the spiced butter mixture into two equal parts and spread evenly over each slice of bread. Arrange the bread on a large baking sheet, then place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the mozzarella over each slice, then return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Finally, switch the oven to the broil setting and broil under a high heat for 1 minute, watching the bread carefully, until the cheese is slightly golden.
6. Once baked, carefully remove the garlic bread, garnish with scallions and sesame seeds and cut into thin slices. Finally, drizzle with the gochujang sauce and enjoy warm.
Excerpted from Flavor Kitchen: Vibrant Recipes with a Twist by Crystelle Pereira, Distributed by Hachette Book Group. Kyle Books is an imprint of Octopus Publishing Photo: Vanessa Lewis
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.