Serves 6 to 8
Using a combination of butter and oil in this one-bowl cake adds wonderful flavor and makes the texture extra moist, and it has become a favorite of ours as a sweet end to dinner on Rosh Hashanah. Be sure to use firm apples that will hold their shape while baking, such as Gala, Cortland, or Braeburn.
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter,
1½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 medium apples (such as Gala),
peeled and cored
Powdered sugar for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform or round pan.
2. Mix the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the oil and eggs, one at a time, beating until blended. Add the vanilla and beat to blend.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter, beating on low until mostly mixed. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
5. Cut 2 of the apples into ½-inch pieces and stir into the cake batter. Cut the remaining 2 apples in half. Cut each half into thin wedges, keeping the wedges together.
6. Spread the batter in the prepared pan (it will be thick). Arrange the wedges on top of the batter.
7. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 70 to 80 minutes, depending on the water content of your fruit.
8. Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge, then remove the springform edge if using a springform pan. Alternatively, flip the cake onto a plate, then flip it right side up. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and cool completely.
9. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.