Serves 8 to 10
Most North American Jews are familiar with sweet noodle kugels. But there are also many savory noodle kugel varieties, which can include garlic, onions, mushrooms, or even spinach. This kugel is a recipe from my husband’s grandmother, Baba Billie. It has an extra garlic kick, fantastic mouthfeel, and a nice crunchy top. You can use fresh garlic if you want, but I think the jarred garlic in oil really is the preferred ingredient.
One 12-ounce package wide or extra-wide egg noodles
3 to 4 heaping tablespoons olive oil
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons jarred garlic in oil, or minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Coarse sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. While the oven is heating, pour the olive oil into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish and place the dish in the oven for the oil to heat. This step will make for a crispier kugel.
2. Boil the noodles in a large pot of salted water according to the package directions, around 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. While the noodles are cooking, whisk together the eggs, garlic, garlic powder, fine sea salt, and pepper.
4. Add the drained noodles to the egg mixture and mix gently until completely coated. Remove the baking dish from the oven and add the noodles. They will sizzle slightly—this is exactly what you want. Spread out the noodles evenly in the dish.
5. Sprinkle the top with paprika and coarse sea salt, if using. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes, or until the noodles achieve your desired crispiness.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Excerpted from Modern Jewish Comfort Food: 100 Fresh Recipes for Classic Dishes from Kugel to Kreplach by Shannon Sarna Copyright © 2022 Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved.
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.