PREP 30 MINUTES
COOK 20 MINUTES
TOTAL 50 MINUTES, PLUS CHILLING
AND COOLING TIME
MAKES 6 SHORTCAKES
Extra-juicy, extra-jammy strawberry shortcakes all done up with a splash of bourbon and buttery rye biscuits: Can you think of a better way to celebrate summer? Truth is, I didn’t grow up eating shortcakes, but now that I’m an adult, they are one of my favorite sweets. They’re always easy to throw together, but these are special. Instead of using just any ol’ biscuit recipe, I worked in some rye flour. The brightness of strawberries works so well with the heartier rye, and while the biscuits are still buttery and flaky, they really hold up against the superjuicy berries. That splash of bourbon ties everything together in a beautiful, warming way, though you can easily leave it out if you prefer. If you have strawberries on hand and don’t know what to do with them, you NEED to make these shortcakes. You just do. You can also swap out the strawberries for any other berry you love, or use a mix of all your favorites!
1¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1¼ cups rye flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine pink Himalayan salt
¾ cup (1½ sticks) cold salted butter, cubed
¾ cup cold buttermilk, plus more for brushing
Demerara or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced, or 3 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
Flaky sea salt
1¼ cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅔ cup crème fraîche or plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons raw honey
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. MAKE THE BISCUITS. In a food processor, combine both flours, the baking powder, the salt, and the butter. Pulse a few times until pea-size pieces begin to form. Drizzle in the buttermilk and continue pulsing until the dough is shaggy; it will be a bit dry.
3. On a floured work surface, turn out the dough and pat it into a 1-inch thick square, about 6 inches wide. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Stack the pieces, then press down to flatten them together. Dust the surface with flour and roll out the dough into a 1-inch-thick square, about 6 inches wide, adding more flour as needed. Using a very sharp knife or a pastry cutter, cut the dough into 6 rectangular biscuits, about 2 × 3 inches each. Brush the tops of the biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with the sugar (if using). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the biscuits from the freezer and bake until the tops are lightly golden and bottoms are deeper golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE BERRIES. In a medium bowl, toss together the berries, honey, bourbon (if using), and a pinch of flaky salt. Let sit until the berries release their juices, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. MAKE THE HONEY-VANILLA CREAM. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the cream and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the crème fraîche and honey and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds more. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. To assemble the shortcakes, slice each biscuit horizontally. Dollop ½ cup of the cream onto the bottom half of each biscuit. Spoon on about ½ cup of the berries, then top with the other biscuit halves. Enjoy immediately!
“Reprinted from Half Baked Harvest: Every Day. Copyright © 2022 by Tieghan Gerard. Photographs copyright © 2022 by Tieghan Gerard and Kristen Kilpatrick. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House.”
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.