Andrea DeMaio, our marketing director, inherited this recipe from her maman, Phyllis. It really shines in the fall, especially when made with local apples, but Andrea’s family asks Phyllis to make it year-round, every time they gather together. And Andrea brings it to all our staff potlucks—everyone loves the unique curry vinaigrette, and the salad is vegan, so no one is ever left out.
serves 2 to 4
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dry white wine (see Tip)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup (105 g) raw unsalted cashews, chopped
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
5 cups (125 g) packed baby spinach
1 Granny Smith apple (about 3 ounces / 84 g), very thinly sliced
4 scallions, sliced
¼ cup (40 g) dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. MAKE THE CURRY VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, wine, and soy sauce. Add the sugar, curry powder, salt, and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, then continue whisking until fully emulsified.
3. MAKE THE SALAD: Spread the cashews evenly in a small ovenproof skillet and toast in the oven until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer the cashews to a small bowl and let cool. Spread the sesame seeds evenly in the same small skillet and toast in the oven until golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sesame seeds to another small bowl and let cool.
4. In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, apple, scallions, cranberries, and cashews.
5. Drizzle the curry vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. Divide among four bowls, sprinkle each with the toasted sesame seeds, and serve.
tip: If you don’t have dry white wine on hand, use an additional tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Reprinted with permission from Maman: The Cookbook by Elisa Marshall and Benjamin Sormonte with Lauren Salkeld. Copyright © 2021. Photographs by Linda Xiao. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House.
When you shop using our links, we earn a small commission. It’s a great way to support public media at no extra cost to you!
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.