Don’t be intimidated by the fancy name—chocolate ganache is just a mixture of chocolate and cream. A good chocolate ganache recipe is incredibly versatile. It can be infused with herbs and spices to create vibrant and flavorful fillings for truffles, or even melted into milk to make a rich cup of cocoa. When liquid, ganache can be used to glaze a cake; when set, it can be whipped and used to fill or even frost cakes.
220 grams / 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons heavy cream
45 grams / 3 tablespoons whole milk
220 grams / 7 1/4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate,* chopped (about 11/4 cups)
45 grams / 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
* It’s important to use a good-quality dark chocolate like Valrhona. Some chocolate bars contain additives or artificial ingredients that will prevent you from getting the silky consistency you’re aiming for when making ganache.
1. Make the cream mixture: Combine the cream and the milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
2. Combine the cream mixture and the chocolate: Place the chocolate in a large bowl. Slowly pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.*
* You’re whisking to melt the chocolate here, not to incorporate air, so stop whisking when all the chocolate has melted.
3. Finish the ganache: Add the butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Let cool completely.*
* Adding butter softens the ganache and makes it smoother.
The ganache can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container, with plastic wrap pressed directly against the surface of the ganache, for up to 3 days.
Excerpted from Everyone Can Bake: Simple Recipes to Master and Mix by Dominique Ansel. Copyright 2020 Simon & Schuster.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.