There’s nothing ordinary about this stunning herb-specked, grain-free tabouli. Raw cauliflower and pine nuts take center stage and combine to add an unexpected and essential nuttiness and color that elevate the dish. This recipe takes just minutes to whip up and seconds to devour. It’s crunchy, fresh, and the very definition of craveable clean food that makes you want more.
1/2 head purple or white cauliflower, core removed
3 Persian cucumbers, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, pressed (optional)
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped pine nuts, toasted
1. In a food processor, chop the cauliflower into 1/4-inch pieces. Do not overprocess. Alternatively, grate the cauliflower on a box grater, or chop it by hand.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, mint, parsley, and red onion.
3. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic (if desired). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with pine nuts just before serving.
4. Serve immediately, or it may be made an hour ahead. If making in advance, toss the pine nuts in right before serving so they stay crunchy.
Because the fresh, raw ingredients are the centerpiece here, only make this recipe when you have access to the freshest herbs and cauliflower.
Nuts are crucial. They add an essential favor and crunch that are unexpected and should be included.
1. Use any color cauliflower you can find.
2. Substitute another nut for the pine nuts. Toasted would be yummiest.
3. Add chopped anything! Red bell peppers and olives are favorite flavor profiles.
Recipe excerpted from Food You Want for the Life You Crave by Nealy Fischer. Copyright 2019 Da Capo Lifelong Books.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.