Recipe note from Kate Jacoby: "This custard is so simple. I use a coconut milk, but you could use any plant milk – oat milk, almond milk, anything. I use coconut milk because it’s rich and creamy. It's a great canvas for just about any kind of flavor you want to jump into."
2 ears corn (about 1 cup kernels)
1 1/2 cups plant-based milk (i.e. soy milk)
1 cup coconut milk
2 TBSP agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp agar powder
1 TBSP cornstarch
1) Shave the corn kernels off the cobs into a medium saucepan.
2) Add the milk and coconut milk, agave, vanilla, salt and agar. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil, about 10 minutes. Keep the mixture at a rolling boil to allow the agar to fully dissolve, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3) Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender. Add the cornstarch and blend for 30 seconds. (Make sure the top of your blender is secure when blending hot liquids!)
4) Strain the contents through a sieve into a clean saucepan, bring just to a boil, and immediately remove from the heat. Ladle the custard into six heat-resistant ramekins or serving dishes.
5) Allow the custards to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes before transferring to a refrigerator. Let them chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.