3 pounds boneless or 2.5 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/3 cup minced garlic
1/3 cup minced fresh ginger
3 teaspoons or more of minced Thai chile or other fresh hot red chile
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
About 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1. Move oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Sprinkle ribs with salt and allow to sit, refrigerated, for 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
3. Dry ribs with paper towels, then rub all over with pepper. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add pork in two batches to avoid crowding, and brown well on both sides. Transfer to a platter.
4. If you have less than 2 tablespoons fat left in the pot, add enough oil to make 2 tablespoons. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted and mostly translucent, 7 to 9 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and chiles and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and wine and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve any fond on the bottom of the pot.
5. Return pork to the pot, bring to a simmer, then cover, place in oven, and cook until meat is very tender, about 90 minutes. Remove pork from liquid, cover loosely with foil, and allow to sit for 10 minutes. In the meantime, if the braising liquid seems too thick, turn heat to high and simmer until reduced to the way you like it.
6. Brush each piece of pork generously with the hoisin sauce, drizzle with reduced sauce, and serve, passing remaining sauce on the side.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.