For one double-crust pie or two single-crust pies.
2 1/2 cups (363 g) all-purpose flour unbleached -- use dip and sweep method
1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
8 tablespoons (112 g) salted or unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
8 tablespoons (112 g) rendered leaf lard, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
1/2 cup ice water (118 g) plus 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 g) more as needed
Additional flour for rolling out dough
1. Put all ingredients but the ice water in a large bowl.
2. With clean hands, quickly smoosh the mixture together, or use a pastry blender with an up and down motion, until the ingredients look like cracker crumbs with lumps the size of peas and almonds. The lumps make flakey pies.
3. Sprinkle ice water over the mixture, and stir lightly with a fork.
4. Squeeze a handful of dough to see if it holds together. Mix in more water as needed.
5. Divide dough in half, and make two chubby discs about 5 inches (12 cm) across.
6. Wrap discs separately in plastic wrap, and chill for about an hour.
For more information please visit artofthepie.com.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.