If you’re a mushroom-lover looking for a recipe that’s loaded with them, this is a delicious and luxurious choice. The trick to spectacular mushrooms is making sure to cook them properly.
Nobody wants to bite down on a cold, squishy mushroom—it’s just weird. An overcooked mushroom is better than a wet, soggy one, so make sure your skillet is hot and that you cook your mushrooms down until they begin to brown (or, if you’re like me, really, really brown).
Eating this dish, you’ll fall in love with its savory richness and be surprised at how many mushrooms you can tuck away in one sitting. The truffle oil is optional; the dish is great without it, but it’s absolutely amazing with that extra layer of flavorful, beneficial fat.
1 tablespoon dairy-free butter
One 14-ounce (400 g) package of mushrooms (any kind), sliced
About 20 sage leaves
Salt to taste
Olive oil to taste
2 thick slices sourdough bread
1 garlic clove, whole
Drizzle of truffle oil (optional, but highly recommended)
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the mushrooms and fry. Once the mushrooms have cooked down a bit, add the sage.
3. Allow the sage to get crispy in the skillet while the mushrooms continue to cook to a golden brown. Season with salt.
4. While the mushrooms cook, drizzle some olive oil on the bread, then toast in the oven.
5. After the bread is toasted, remove it from the oven and immediately, while the bread is still hot, smear the clove of garlic on top for flavor.
6. Top with the mushrooms and sage, and enjoy right away.
Variations: If you’re not into sage or don’t have it on hand, rosemary makes a great replacement. And, like most things, this is also great with some avocado spread on top.
Recipe from The Plantiful Table: Easy, From-the-Earth Recipes for the Whole Family, copyright © Andrea Duclos, 2015. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.