Sasha’s Hangover Cure: Fried Gnocchi With Mozzarella and Cherry Tomatoes
This is the most popular recipe that I have ever written, a fact that still slightly bemuses me. It is particularly indulgent and very moreish. So maybe it’s just the combination of salty, buttery, crispy, carb-y goodness, with the umami hit of the tomatoes that does it?
1 packet vacuum-packed gnocchi
1 tbsp olive oil
a few handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
1 ball mozzarella cheese
handful basil leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Simply boil a large pan of salted water, tip in the gnocchi and cook according to the packet instructions (a few minutes).
2. Fish out when cooked and drain. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a large, non-stick frying pan.
3. When the oil is hot, tip in the gnocchi (be careful, the oil will spit) and the tomatoes.
4. After about 5 minutes, when the gnocchi have started to catch and brown, add in ripped-up pieces of the mozzarella.
5. The temptation is to keep stirring, but you want the gnocchi to stick so that their bottoms go all crispy, so resist the temptation to keep prodding them. And if you mix it up too much, the cheese will melt into a lump of goo. (If that does happen, just use some kitchen scissors to cut it up.)
6. Tear the basil leaves over everything and season with salt and black pepper. Then eat. Lots.
Excerpted from Friends, Food, Family: Essential Recipes, Tips and Secrets for the Modern Hostess, from Liberty London Girl by Sasha Wilkins by arrangement with Quadrille Publishing, distributed by Chronicle Books, Copyright © 2015 by Sasha Wilkins.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.