We serve this dish in my restaurants in Dublin, Clodagh’s Kitchen, during the cold winter months, and it’s akin to a big, warm hug in your tummy! The sweet sharpness of the Irish whiskey cuts through the cream and earthy wild mushrooms. Serve with any variation of my creamed potatoes.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
4 supreme chicken filets (breast with wing bone attached), skin on
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
creamed potatoes, to serve
For the sauce:
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
10 1/2 ounces wild mushrooms
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon Irish Whiskey
1 1/4 cups half and half
1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place an ovenproof skillet or grill pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. Once they have warmed and the butter has melted, add the garlic cloves and place the chicken filets, skin side down, in the pan. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Cook until the skin is crisp, 2 minutes, then turn over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 20 minutes. The whole garlic cloves will add a very slight flavor to the chicken.
4. While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the shallots and wild mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour in the whiskey and turn up the heat. Let simmer until the whiskey has reduced by half.
5. Stir in the half and half and tarragon. Season with salt and black pepper, reduce the heat to low, and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve the dish on four warm plates. Divide your chosen creamed potatoes between the plates. Arrange the crispy chicken on top and spoon over the Irish whiskey and wild mushroom sauce.
From Clodagh's Irish Kitchen by Clodagh McKenna, Kyle Books 2015.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.