I wanted to call this recipe "Zuppa di Ceci con Pomodori," but my copy editor insisted that it be in English. But doesn't it sound better in Italian? For optimum flavor, use dried beans to make this hearty dish. However, the beans do require overnight soaking before being cooked, so in a pinch you can use canned garbanzos. Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta that lends itself well to this soup, but feel free to substitute any pasta you happen to have on hand.
1-1/4 cups dried garbanzo beans, or two 15-ounce cans, drained
6 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
1 cup orzo
One 28-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. If using dried garbanzo beans, put them in a large bowl and add water to cover by at least 2 inches. Let soak for at least 8 hours and up to overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the beans, put them in a large soup pot or stockpot, and add fresh water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours, until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In the same pot, bring the stock to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-high, add the orzo, and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garbanzos and tomatoes and bring the soup back to a simmer.
4. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the seasonings into the beans, along with the salt and pepper.
5. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return the puree to the pot. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve the soup in warmed bowls with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
Splendid Table Tip: When blending hot liquids in a blender, hold the lid down firmly, using a pot holder or kitchen towel, while the machine is running.
From Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living by Joseph Shuldiner (Chronicle Books LLC, 2012). Copyright © 2012 by Joseph Shuldiner. Photographs copyright © 2012 by Emily Brooke Sandor and Joseph Shuldiner. All rights reserved. Used with permission of Chronicle Books.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.