There is hardly a meal less in need of an appetizer than the Thanksgiving feast. That said, it is lovely to have a little nibble of something with your pre-meal drink.
These beautiful and simple cheese crisps hail from the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of Italy. They come together in a snap, and with the addition of a little hot chile, will help sharpen your appetite for the meal to come.
Pair these with anything bubbly, the subtle sweetness found in sparkling wines as well as the effervescence works well with the crisp nature of these delicious and savory bites.
3 cups medium-grated hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago, or Spanish Manchego
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground red chile or more to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F and center an oven rack.
2. Mix the cheese with the flour and chile.
3. Line a half-sheet pan with parchment. You need to make these in batches, but they go quickly.
4. Scatter generous tablespoon-sized mounds of the cheese mixture about 4 inches apart and gently spread out into 6-inch rounds. Do not mound the cheese. If you make them too thick they will be chewy rather than crisp.They should be thick enough to just hold together when melted.
5. Bake 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden in color with a lovely lace appearance.
6. Cool on the parchment on a rack. Transfer carefully to a serving plate with a thin metal spatula and serve.
Note: Frico can be stored between layers of wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 5 days.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.