My sister ran the kitchen in our little apartment when we were growing up even though my mother, who was the breadwinner, dictated what we would have for dinner. My mother taught my sister how to make our favorite roasted turkey drumsticks. These are great and go with any sides.
4 medium turkey drumsticks
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 carrots, washed, peeled, and coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, washed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
8 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season the turkey legs with salt and pepper.
3. Toss the carrots, celery, and onion with olive oil, garlic, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
4. Spread the vegetables in a large baking dish or roasting pan lined with foil. Spread the sliced butter and pour the water over the vegetables. Arrange the turkey legs on top.
5. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Roast, turning the legs and vegetables every 30 minutes, until the meat is fork tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and let rest for about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve the turkey legs with the roasted vegetables and a starch.
Jeff Henderson is a chef, Food Network host, author and speaker. He is the author of Cooked, Chef Jeff Cooks and America I AM Pass it Down Cookbook. He is host of "The Chef Jeff Project."
Reprinted from Chef Chef Jeff Cooks: In the Kitchen with America's Inspirational New Culinary Star by Jeff Henderson (Scribner, 2008). Copyright 2008 by Jeff Henderson.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.