From Chef Mark Reinfeld's menu for A Holiday Vegan Feast.
16 ounces tempeh, sliced into 4 cutlets
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 recipe Creamy Tahini Marinade (recipe follows)
1 cup pistachios or pecans, roasted, no salt
1/2 cup blue corn chips, crumbled
2 tablespoons blue corn meal
1 tablespoon coconut, shredded & toasted (optional)
1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt, to taste
Creamy Tahini Marinade:
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup creamy tahini
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice (1 cup)
3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 cups water or vegetable stock
1/4 cup soy sauce, or to taste
Pinch nutmeg, ground
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons spelt flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon filtered water
Blue Corn Crusted Tempeh
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place soy sauce and water in a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish, add tempeh cutlets and allow to sit for 5 minutes before flipping. Let sit for another five minutes. Prepare Creamy Tahini Marinade and pour over tempeh cutlets. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. Cutlets may also be marinated the day before the dish is prepared. Place dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
2. While tempeh is marinating and baking, place crust ingredients in food processor and process until chopped fine.
3. Remove tempeh from oven, cover liberally with crust mixture, return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve while hot.
Creamy Tahini Marinade
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
10 minutes prep; 15 minutes cooking
Makes 3-1/2 cups
1. Create a roux by placing spelt flour in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon filtered water and whisk until a thick paste is created. Set aside.
2. Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients except roux mixture and cook for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add roux mixture and cook until gravy has a thick consistency, approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Fusion World Cuisine by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi (Beaufort Books, 2007). Copyright 2007 by Mark Reinfeld and Bo Rinaldi.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. And, when you donate, you'll become a member of The Splendid Table Co-op. It's a community of like-minded individuals who love good food, good conversation and kitchen companionship. Splendid Table Co-op members will get exclusive content each month and have special opportunities for connecting with The Splendid Table team.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table and you'll be welcomed into The Splendid Table Co-op.