Cathryn's Grrl Genius Low-Fat Technicolor Tater Salad
This salad, with its garishly colorful appearance and tangy, sharp undertones, was my saladic attempt to wryly comment on the need for a new, more inclusive version of the American Dream at the Santa Barbara County Fair. It is sure to be a showstopper at any picnic and is not impossible to make.
When you make it, you will enjoy its hearty flavor but may become overwhelmed with bitterness that so ingenious a salad remains only a third-prize winner. I can assure you that you will not be a victim of saladic ignorance, as I was, if you make this salad for your friends and family. Rest assured that your friends and family, unlike the philistine salad judges at the Santa Barbara County Fair, have no Byzantine political reasons for trying to make you feel "third best."
- 2 (or some) boiled white potatoes
- 2 (or some) boiled red potatoes
- 2 (or some) boiled purple potatoes
- 2 (or some) boiled Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 (or some) boiled sweet potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 each red, yellow, purple, green, and orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rough-cut Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup diced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chop the potatoes and the hard-boiled eggs and put in an enormous bowl with the diced peppers and onion. In a less-enormous bowl mix up all the other ingredients. Dump the less enormous bowl into the more enormous bowl and toss gaily. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Delicious if you eat it now, even better tomorrow.