This dish is easy: marinate chicken thighs in a bit of olive oil, garlic, lemon, and red pepper flakes, then sauté and finish off in a mixture of clarified butter and hot sauce, which is a Magic Elixir of its own. The leftovers are amazing alone, or on a salad the next day.
No Crumbs Left
by Teri Turner
1. Spread the chicken out in a shallow container good for marinating. Season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 cup of the olive oil, the lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes and stir until combined well.
3. Pour the mixture over the chicken, tossing to thoroughly coat.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, if you have the time.
5. When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
6. Heat a large, dry cast-iron skillet over high heat. Once hot, reduce the heat to medium and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook until browned and crispy, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook until cooked through and browned, 5 to 7 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the thighs. Test for doneness. Set the pan aside.
7. In a small pan, melt the clarified butter over low heat. Transfer the butter to a blender, add the hot sauce, and blend until emulsified.
8. Spoon the sauce over the chicken in the pan, coating the chicken thoroughly.
9. Serve immediately.
For a non-Whole30 version, use regular butter and any hot sauce you like.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
Excerpted from No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous © 2019 by Teri Turner. Photography © 2019 by Tim Turner. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.