Eating greens can be colorful, too! This bright, crunchy salad will excite your eyes as much as your taste buds, and is perfect for a potluck or a big backyard family meal. Because of the heartiness of the vegetables in this salad, which don’t wilt when dressed, it can be made in advance and refrigerated, or kept as leftovers for the next day.
For the Lemony Avocado Dressing
1. Shred or grate all the vegetables either by hand or using a food processor fitted with the grating blade.
2. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the edamame in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
3. Combine all the shredded vegetables in a large bowl along with the edamame and 2 tablespoons hemp hearts.
4. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
5. Add the lemony avocado dressing to the vegetables and toss well. Store any leftover dressing in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.
6. Garnish with the last tablespoon of hemp seeds. Serve at room temperature.
Calories (per serving) 174; Protein 7.2 g; Total fat 10.1 g; Saturated fat 1.7 g; Carbohydrates 16.1 g; Dietary fiber 6.4 g; Sugars 3.4 g; Vitamins A, B6, C
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
Recipe from Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Vegetables at Every Meal, Every Day © Jessica Nadel, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.