- 1/4 pound chicken livers, trimmed and rinsed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 canned water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and halved crosswise
- 8 bacon slices (1/2 pound), cut into thirds
- 24 wooden picks, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
1. Cut chicken livers into 24 (roughly 1/2-inch) pieces. Stir together soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and curry powder in a small bowl. Add livers and water chestnuts and toss to coat. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for 1 hour.
2. Preheat broiler. Remove livers and chestnuts from marinade; discard marinade. Place a piece of bacon on a work surface and put a piece of liver and a chestnut half in center. Wrap bacon around liver and chestnut and secure with a wooden pick. Make more rumaki in same manner.
3. Broil rumaki on rack of broiler pan 2 inches from heat, turning once, until bacon is crisp and livers are cooked but still slightly pink inside (unwrap one to check for doneness), 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately.