Photo: Elena Elisseeva / iStock / Thinkstock
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon malt powder or syrup*
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups unbleached white bread flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 6 quarts water
- 1/3 cup honey
1. In a large bowl stir together warm water, sugar, oil, yeast, egg and malt until yeast dissolves. Stir in salt and 1 cup flour. Fold in enough flour to make a soft dough, about 3 cups.
2. Knead dough for 10-12 minutes, incorporating additional flour as needed, until dough is firm and smooth. Cover with inverted bowl and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll into 10-inch ropes. Curve each rope around hand, pressing together ends to make a bagel shape. If necessary, apply drops of water to help ends stay together. Let bagels rise for 30 minutes.
4. Fill a large kettle with 6 quarts water and honey. Bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Boil bagels in honey-sweetened water for 1 1/2 minutes, turning once. Drain on dish towels and place on baking sheets.
6. Generously sprinkle both sides of bagels with seeds.
7. Place bagels in oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes, turning once.
*Available in homebrew stores, some health food stores, or from King Arthur Flour (800-827-6836).