Sandwiches can be assembled up to 2 hours in advance, and kept covered at room temperature. Toast immediately before eating.
- 4 teleras, bolillos, Portuguese buns, petite baguettes or large baguettes cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 cups, or about 8 ounces, shredded Mexican Oaxaca, or mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or a light cheddar
- Pico de Gallo salsa, or another salsa of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 - 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
3. When ready to eat , bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust around the edges. Eat while hot.