Photo: Pavel Vlasov / Hemera / Thinkstock
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 200g (7 oz.) pieces fresh salmon or ocean trout
- 2 small fennel bulbs, very thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, shredded
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar, extra
- 1/2 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
Place the miso, tahini, sugar, and water in a saucepan and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the salmon, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes or until crisp. Brush the salmon with the miso sauce, turn and cook for 1 minute.
For the fennel salad, combine the fennel, cucumber, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and coriander leaves. To serve, place the fennel salad on plates and top with the salmon. Serve with the remaining miso sauce.