Grilling a salad might sound counterintuitive, but it adds a whole new flavor experience. Developing a nice char on the outside of the romaine not only enhances the presentation, but it also adds a nice depth of smoky flavor. Instead of using croutons, I pan-fry capers, which add a salty, nutty crunch. Without letting anything go to waste, I also fry the capers in the reserved oil from the jarred sun-dried tomatoes, which lends a honeyed flavor to the capers. Of course, the sun-dried tomatoes bring a pop of color and sweetness to help round out the dish.
1. Preheat grill to 300°-350° (medium).
2. Drain tomatoes, reserving oil and tomatoes separately. Heat reserved oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat just until oil begins to smoke. Add capers, and fry, gently shaking skillet occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until capers are crispy and browned. Drain capers on paper towels, reserving oil. Let oil cool 15-20 minutes.
3. Brush cut sides of lettuce with cooled reserved oil. Grill lettuce, cut sides down, 2 minutes. Rotate lettuce 45°, and grill on same side 2 more minutes to create grill marks. Place lettuce on serving plates, grilled sides up.
4. Drizzle lettuce with desired amount of dressing. Sprinkle with tomatoes, fried capers, and shaved cheese; season with black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Classic Caesar Dressing
Total time: 9 min.; makes: 1 cup
1. Place first 3 ingredients on a cutting board. Using the flat side of a chef’s knife, carefully smash ingredients together until mixture becomes a thick paste and is thoroughly blended. Transfer paste to a small bowl.
2. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, and vinegar to the paste, and whisk until blended. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
3. Whisk in cheese, and season with black pepper to taste. Transfer to a glass canning jar, and serve immediately. Cover with metal lid, and screw on band; refrigerate up to 1 week.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.