Photo: Photo courtesy Los Angeles Times
Note: Unsweetened cranberry juice can generally be found at Trader Joe's as well as select health food and gourmet stores.
- Scant 1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) brown mustard seeds
- About 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (3 3/4 ounces) mustard powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
1. Soak the mustard seeds: Place the mustard seeds and powder in a medium glass or ceramic bowl along with the water and cranberry juice. Set aside, covered (but not sealed airtight), for 24 hours.
2. Place the mixture in a food processor along with the salt and sugar and process for 1 to 2 minutes until the seeds are coarsely ground. Stir in the dried cranberries. This makes about 1 1/2 cups mustard.
3. The mustard may be very pungent at first. Cover and refrigerate for at least a day or two before using.
Each tablespoon: 60 calories; 2 grams protein; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 2 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 7 grams sugar; 71 mg sodium.