There’s nothing ordinary about this stunning herb-specked, grain-free tabouli. Raw cauliflower and pine nuts take center stage and combine to add an unexpected and essential nuttiness and color that elevate the dish. This recipe takes just minutes to whip up and seconds to devour. It’s crunchy, fresh, and the very definition of craveable clean food that makes you want more.
Food You Want for the Life You Crave
by Nealy Fischer
1. In a food processor, chop the cauliflower into 1/4-inch pieces. Do not overprocess. Alternatively, grate the cauliflower on a box grater, or chop it by hand.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, mint, parsley, and red onion.
3. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic (if desired). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with pine nuts just before serving.
4. Serve immediately, or it may be made an hour ahead. If making in advance, toss the pine nuts in right before serving so they stay crunchy.
1. Use any color cauliflower you can find.
2. Substitute another nut for the pine nuts. Toasted would be yummiest.
3. Add chopped anything! Red bell peppers and olives are favorite flavor profiles.
Each week, The Splendid Table brings you stories that expand your world view, inspire you to try something new, and show how food brings us together. We rely on you to do this. You have the power to keep us cooking, sharing these stories, and helping you in the kitchen.
Donate today for as little as $5.00 a month. Your gift only takes a few minutes and has a lasting impact on The Splendid Table.
Recipe excerpted from Food You Want for the Life You Crave by Nealy Fischer. Copyright 2019 Da Capo Lifelong Books.